NRSB RECOGNIZED STANDARDS
- A Citizen’s Guide to Radon: The Guide to Protecting Yourself and Your Family from Radon (EPA 402-K-12/002, December 2016)
- Consumer’s Guide to Radon Reduction: How to Fix Your Home (EPA 402-K-10/005, December 2016)
- Home Buyer’s and Seller’s Guide to Radon (EPA 402-K-13/002, September 2013)
- Standard Practice for Installing Radon Mitigation Systems in Existing Low-Rise Residential Buildings (ASTM E-2121-13)
- Builders: Building New Homes with Radon-reducing Features-EPA recommends the ASTM E1465-08 standard for radon-reducing features in new homes.
- Radon Reduction Techniques for Detached Houses Technical Guidance (Second Edition) (EPA/625/5-87/019, Revised January 1988)
- Radon Reduction Techniques for Existing Detached Houses Technical Guidance (Third Edition) for Active Soil Depressurization Systems (EPA/625/R-93/011, October 1993)
- Final Report Reducing Radon in Structures (EPA Contract Number 68-D-90170, Work Assignment 2-46, December 1992)
- Technical Support Document for the 1992 Citizens Guide to Radon (EPA 400-R-92-011, May 1992)
- Indoor Radon and Radon Decay Product Measurements Device Protocols (EPA 402-R-92-004, July 1992)
- Protocols for Radon and Radon Decay Product Measurements in Homes (EPA Document Number 402-R-93-003, June 1993)
- Radon Measurement in Schools Revised Edition (EPA 402-R-92-014 July 1993)
- For Testing HUD Multi-family Buildings, the NRSB does recognize sections of the ANSI-AARST (MAMF) Protocol for Conducting Radon and RDP Measurements in Multi-family Buildings – 2012 as required by HUD. To read or download the HUD Radon documents, go to http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=13-03hsgn.pdf
4. Testing Protocols.
a. Radon testing must follow the protocols set by the American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists, Protocol for Conducting Radon and Radon Decay Product Measurements in Multi-family Buildings (ANSI-AARST MAMF-2010, Section III (or similar section in the most recent addition), (available at http:www.aarst.org/bookstore.shtml).
1. Exception: With reference to Section III.3.1 of ANSI-AARST MAMF-2010 (or similar section in the most recent edition). the minimum number of apartments to be tested shall be at least twenty-five percent of randomly selected ground level units.
b. Threshold for unacceptability: 4.0 picocuries per liter (4.0 pCi/L) based on initial and any confirmatory testing, if performed.
5. Resident Notification.
a. Testing. Resident of all new applications for Multi-family MAP and TAP programs shall be performed of forthcoming testing in the manner described in ANSI-AARST MAMF-2010, Section II.B and Section III.2.2.1 (or similar sections in the most recent edition).
b. Mitigation. Residents shall be informed both prior to and after mitigation activities. In the case of new construction, incoming residents shall be informed of radon mitigation activities.
Revision 2, March 5, 2007