How To Become Certified
To apply for Radon Measurement and/or Radon Mitigation certification you will need to complete the following:
- Submit evidence of successfully passing approved training course.
- Submit evidence of passing the NRSB exam.
- The NRSB exams may be taken either in conjunction with approved training programs, or through a system of individual proctors. Exam guidance, proctor qualifications and exam order information are available here.
- Applicants must specify which devices they are using and list the NRSB device code on the application.
- Applicants seeking to use continuous radon monitors must submit a proficiency test for each model of continuous radon monitor or continuous working level monitor used and a current certificate of calibration for all monitors used to perform measurements. A certificate of calibration must be issued by an NRSB Accredited Radon Chamber that is manufacturer-authorized to perform calibration for the instrument model. View our list of accredited NRSB chambers.
- Applicants seeking to use electret ion chamber must submit a proficiency test and a current certificate of calibration for all monitors used to perform measurements. A certificate of calibration must be issued by an NRSB Accredited Radon Chamber that is manufacturer-authorized to perform calibration for the instrument model. View our list of accredited NRSB chambers. If you are reading your own electrets you must become an NRSB accredited laboratory.
- Complete the applications below:
Please sign, date and mail, fax or email applications to:
National Radon Safety Board
14 Hayes Street
Elmsford, NY 10523
Fax: (914) 345-1169
Upon completion of the training requirements and successful completion of the requisite exam, the applicant sends documentation of the training, exam and if warranted proficiency test(s) and certificate of calibration(s) to the NRSB administrative office with a non-refundable application fee.
The National Radon Safety Board administrative office reviews all certification applications, and if the documentation is in order, issues the appropriate certification. An 8” x 10” wall certificate and a wallet identification card are mailed to the applicant. Individual certification information is posted on the NRSB website.
If an application is incomplete or otherwise not in order, the applicant is notified by phone or email. If the deficiencies in the application are corrected, the certification is awarded.
Check list for Initial Certification:
- Take and pass an approved initial course
- Order & pass NRSB exam
- Fill out required applications
- You are required to use an approved NRSB device
- If using a CRM: You must have a up to date certificate of calibration & a proficiency test performed by one of our secondary chambers upon initial certification. For every renewal you will only be required to have an up to date certificate of calibration if the device is the same as the previous year. An additional proficiency test is only required with renewal if you have changed the model of your CRM.
- If using an electret ion chamber device: You are required to have a proficiency test completed upon initial certification as well as every renewal. Also, an up to date certificate of calibration is required. If you are reading your own electrets, you must become an NRSB accredited laboratory.